Tēnā koutou, tēnā koutou, tēnā koutou katoa
Ko Ruapehu te maunga
Ko Whanganui te awa
Ko Aotea te waka
Ko Te Ātihaunui-a-Papārangi te iwi
Ko Ngapuwaiwaha te marae
Nō Te Whanganui-a-tara ahau
Ko Amohia tōku whānau
Ko Aleisha tōku ingoa
Aleisha Amohia (Te Ātihaunui-a-Papārangi) (she/her) is a passionate young advocate for diversity and inclusion in all spaces, but especially the technology industry.
Aleisha is a Victoria University of Wellington graduate with a Bachelor of Science (majoring in Computer Science and specialising in Artificial Intelligence) and a Bachelor of Commerce (majoring in Management and minoring in Information Systems), and now works as software developer for global open source project Koha, at Catalyst IT.
Aleisha has volunteered for years in the advocacy and community sector. She is the Wellington Branch President for the National Council of Women New Zealand, is on the Establishing Board of the YWCA Wellington, and is on the Board of the Wellington Alliance Against Sexual Violence. Aleisha was also the President of Victoria University of Wellington Women in Tech for two years, and served on the Victoria University Netball Club in various roles for multiple years.
Born and raised in Te Whanganui-a-Tara, Aleisha is the eldest of four children, and their family has a dog named Cassie. Aleisha is extremely proud of her Māori-Asian whakapapa and is on active journey to explore her identity and heritage. She also loves sport, music, travel, food, and wine.
Co-chair, Māori Design Group, InternetNZ
Since July 2021
A specialist Māori Design Group has been established to support InternetNZ to deepen its understanding of te Ao Māori and improve Māori relationships and outcomes. The Māori Design Group will work alongside InternetNZ’s council to better consider āhuatanga and tirohanga Māori.
Establishing Board Member, YWCA Wellington (voluntary)
Since April 2021
Aleisha is helping to reestablish the YWCA Wellington, with plans to set up a community fund for local women's groups and initiatives.
Board Member, Wellington Alliance Against Sexual Violence (voluntary)
Since March 2021
The Wellington Alliance Against Sexual Violence (WAASV) is a coalition of community organisations and individuals who are advocating for a city free from sexual violence.
Aleisha helped to organise the rally that launched the WAASV campaign, particularly with social media and communications. She continues to support the organisation through looking after administrative tasks and managing social media.
President, Wellington Branch, National Council of Women New Zealand (voluntary)
Since November 2019
NCWNZ is an umbrella organisation working towards true gender equality in Aotearoa New Zealand. Established in 1896, NCWNZ have 14 branches and more than 200 organisations, as well as individuals, as members.
Aleisha has held various roles on the Wellington Branch Executive since joining in November 2019. She was Secretary for a few months, then elected as Vice President, is now elected President. Her role involves representing NCWNZ Wellington Branch at stakeholder events and in media, speaking publicly at events, chairing monthly Branch meetings, overseeing and leading Branch projects and initiatives, and organising events and campaigns to support sister organisations and relevant causes.
Koha Developer, Catalyst IT
Since December 2014
Catalyst IT is an open source software company that provides open source solutions and training. Koha is an open source library system that originated in New Zealand in 1999, and is now used in over 15,000 libraries around the world.
Aleisha's role involves maintaining and developing Koha for Catalyst clients, contributing to the global Koha open source project, and mentoring high school students at the Catalyst Open Source Academy every Summer.
Secretary, Victoria University Netball Club (voluntary)
November 2017 to November 2019
The Victoria University Netball Club (Team Vic Netball) is the largest club in the Wellington Netball Competition with over 200 members.
Aleisha held various roles over the years, including Social Officer, Club Captain, and Secretary. She organised many events for the club, managed their social media channels and communications, and managed all administrative tasks.
President, Victoria University of Wellington Women in Tech (voluntary)
August 2017 to November 2019
VUWWIT is a group that improves support, representation and opportunities for women and gender diverse folk studying and working in Engineering and Computer Science at Victoria University of Wellington.
Aleisha's role involved overseeing the day-to-day operations of the club, facilitating the organisation of events, and ensuring the Committee is working to satisfy the needs of members and maintain strong relationships with industry partners and sponsors.
Victoria University of Wellington
2015 to 2019
Bachelor of Science (BSc) - Computer Science & Artificial Intelligence
Bachelor of Commerce (BCom) - Management & Information Systems
Wellington East Girls' College
2011 to 2015
Technology Prefect 2015
- Club Administrator of the Year 2020, Netball Wellington Centre
- Sportsperson of the Year Finalist 2020, Victoria University Netball Club
- Y25 List 2020, YWCA Aotearoa
- Faculty Club of the Year 2019, Victoria University of Wellington
- Victoria Plus Award 2019, Victoria University of Wellington
- Blues Award for Sports Administration 2019, Victoria University of Wellington
- Senior Player of the Year Finalist 2019, Victoria University Netball Club
- Sportsperson of the Year Finalist 2019, Victoria University Netball Club
- Team Vic Excellence Award 2019, Victoria University Netball Club
- Volunteer of the Year Nominee 2018, Netball Wellington Centre
- Huawei Seeds for the Future Scholari 2018, Huawei Technologies
- WellyTech Walked the Talk Award Finalist 2018, Access Granted & WellyTech
- Sportsperson of the Year Finalist 2018, Victoria University Netball Club
- Team Vic Excellence Award 2018, Victoria University Netball Club
- Blues Award for Sports Administration 2018, Victoria University of Wellington
- Club President of the Year 2018, Victoria University of Wellington
- Young Achiever Award Finalist 2017, New Zealand Hi-Tech Awards
- Open Source Contributer Finalist 2016, New Zealand Open Source Awards
- Catalyst Open Source Scholarship 2016, Catalyst IT
- Victoria Achiever Scholarship 2016, Victoria University of Wellington
- Datacom Prize for Excellence in Digital Technologies 2015, Datacom
- IITP Cup for Excellence in Digital Technologies 2015, Institute of IT Professionals